From: Darren New
Date: 14 Apr 2011 15:03:38
Message: <4da7450a$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/14/2011 11:50, Warp wrote:
>    The only way to make it last longer is to halt the consumption rate
> growth.

Agreed. And that's why there's so much debate in the global warming circles.
How do you halt the consumption of fossil fuels without killing (or throwing
back to pre-industrial age technology) large numbers of people?

You look at graphs like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PU200611_Fig1.png
and you have to wonder who is kidding whom. There's no way for a layman to
look at that and guess who is right and who is wrong and who is lying.

You look at graphs like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_population_history.svg
and ask "say we cut our fossil fuel usage in half today. Then what?"

While I think that nuclear energy is probably a good idea, it's hard to deny
that it can have wide impacts when done wrong, and we don't seem to be able
to do them right yet. Even if technologically we know how to build a
completely safe reactor, we'll still have the china syndrome going on. (Not
the meltdown, but the moral of the movie.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like