From: Darren New
Date: 14 Apr 2011 13:46:54
Message: <4da7330e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/14/2011 10:04, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Saying "shut down 80% of the power plants in your
>> country and go back to 19th century technology" is something else.
>
>    How about "shut down 80% of the power plants in your country and move
> to the 21st century already"? Producing energy by eg. burning coal is just
> utterly stupid.

And what would you suggest for (say) a country that wants to industrialize
that doesn't have the infrastructure to build nuclear reactors? A big city
in Kenya, say, where 50 miles away people still spin wool by hand? How are
you going to build a safe nuclear reactor? Or do you want to Chernobyl all
over again?

Or China, where there was great outrage that they flooded out hundreds of
square miles of villages to make a dam? Or in South America, where huge
swaths of rainforest are drowned by dams?

Other renewable sources just don't cut it, really. Not yet, at least. But
shutting down civilization before we've built a replacement is probably a
bad idea. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like