POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? : Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 07:51:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution?
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Apr 2011 13:13:06
Message: <4da72b22@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I fail to see the advantage of going bonkers providing multiple versions of the
>> same script to support multiple "native" scrpting environments when there are
>> multiple far better offerings than the native stuff that are both a fast and
>> free download and also multiplatform.
>
>   You fail to see the advantage? How about you take the script and just
> run it, without having to figure out what else you need to download and
> install before you can run it.

how about clicking on a link right next to the script download instead
of "figuring it out"?

BTW, I wonder when will OS'es finally automatically download and install
required interpreters based on file type.  You click on a script and if
there's no interpreter, the OS informs you of the file type and required
interpreter and if you want it to fetch, install and then execute the
script.  Security risk?  Not like you don't have to provide an
administrative password to install things...

I mean, it's not like python and company are completely unfamiliar to
desktop OSes.  They've been around for so long, how come there's no
standardized database of known scripting languages and it's file types...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9