POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Apr 2011 12:25:09
Message: <4da71fe5$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2011 23:45, Warp wrote:
>    Some companies are not that lazy. For example Apple has very extensive and
> ample documentation on their development environments (in the form of
> tutorials and reference manuals).

MS didn't *used* to be that bad. The XNA stuff just seems particularly
poorly documented, like it's not really strategic or something. The blog
posting is great. Detailed, examples, etc. Why the heck not copy it into the
documentation for the routine, instead of seeing "go see the blog post at
the URL for details of how to use this call"? (Of course, the answer is
probably that someone would have to translate it, get it approved by
lawyers, etc.)

Most of the MS documentation is pretty good, really, but it has indeed been
going downhill.

>    Of course then there are those who either have no documentation to
> speak of, or just some lazy barely documented doxygen-generated listing
> of classes (which is often a couple of versions older than the most recent
> distribution of the library). Yes, I have concrete experience of exactly
> this.

That's my complaint. Maybe it's just the XNA stuff, but most of it is
doxygen not-very-commented stuff, with third-party forums and blogs filling
in.  I think I just grew up in a time frame when learning about computers
came from books, so surfing around the whole world trying to guess the right
keywords to see who already solved your problem is annoying. I mean, I
learned APL by sitting down and reading the manual for the APL interpreter.
Are you really going to learn something like Ruby from scratch by reading
nothing but the documentation that comes with the interpreter? Hell, even
the "official" Ruby book has statements in it that say things like "It seems
to work like this..."  (That's when I gave up on Ruby, incidentally - when I
realized the guy writing the O'Reilly book was guessing how it actually worked.)

Especially when there's like 4 or 5 versions (and half a dozen CTP and RC
versions) in the last 4 years, and all the old posts are still hanging
around, most of which don't mention what version they're using.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like