POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Disappointed in xbox hardware : Re: Disappointed in xbox hardware Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disappointed in xbox hardware
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Apr 2011 12:03:31
Message: <4da71ad3@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2011 23:40, Warp wrote:
>    Why would you even want to decompress a JPEG image with the GPU?

That's a good point. ALtho I know the set-top boxes I've worked with all
have MPEG decompression hardware and H.264 decompression hardware, as do
most of the phone stuff I'm familiar with (which is very little). That's one
of the arguments about Ogg in HTML5 video tags vs H.264.

> (The reason why they are faster at drawing is extreme parallelism and
> having hardware that is dedicated to drawing stuff.)

I'm pretty sure the individual blocks of jpeg are independent (unlike PNG
for example). You ought to be able to de-convolve an entire jpeg in parallel
at least, once you de-huffman it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like