From: Warp
Date: 14 Apr 2011 02:11:20
Message: <4da69007@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Standard trope for them is that there are only a small number of
> "Kinds", of which humans are the unique one, without any kin, and that
> all the diversity came about shortly after the flood, when god simply
> "poofed" all the variations into existence. They need this to be true,
> otherwise the Ark and Noah's flood are not possible.

  The "kind" thing seems to be some kind of dogma invented by a few
creationists, an idea that for some reason has got very popular among
ID proponent. I don't really even understand why they are so fixated
about that "kind hypothesis" anyways, as if it was somehow crucial.
It's based on the interpretation of exactly one vague sentence in the
scriptures.

  Well, as said, it's just a generalization of aversion: They strongly
dislike *one* consequence of evolutionary theory (iow. the concept that
humans evolved from previous species, rather than being created), and thus
they extend their distaste to *all* of the theory, including the very
concept of speciation. (Personally I don't see anything in the Bible that
would make the concept of speciation such a horrendous abomination as ID
proponents seem to think.)

  Also, a significant portion of Christians don't believe in the literal
interpretation of the Noah's Ark story because of all the problems it would
present (such as how and why would all members of sibling species travel
from the Ark's landing point to the other side of the world, crossing vast
oceans, and without leaving any representatives of their species along the
way, either by living descendants or fossils).

--
                                                          - Warp