From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Apr 2011 18:09:34
Message: <4da61f1e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2011 7:26 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> I literally can't decide whether this is serious or not.
>>
>> I'm just gobsmacked.
>
> Ditto.
>
>> Be afraid be very, very afraid that there are people in the educated
>> world that can ask those types of questions and those that will answer
>> them.
>
> I honestly can't decide whether this is deadpan spoof or perfectly serious.
>
> (Isn't there a law of the Internet about this effect?)
Its called a Poe: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of
humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that
SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

A corollary to this is one, I am not sure its been named, which states
that no such parody you can make will ever be unique, since there is
bound to already be some Fundamentalist, some place, making the same
exact same argument/statement on an existing website.

Ironically there is also a theological poe's law, which states,
basically, that different bits of stupidity in the Bible will resonate
with different people, at different times. My wording, not their's. lol