From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Apr 2011 17:02:56
Message: <4da60f80@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:48:14 -0400, Alain wrote:

> Le 2011/04/13 14:05, Warp a écrit :
>> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:
>>> I proclaim a dogma. If you chalenge it, you're WRONG! If you find
>>> facts that don't support it, your facts are WRONG, or you invented
>>> them! If the facts realy contradict the dogma, reject them or twist
>>> them until they fit.
>>
>>    You forgot the psychological projection, iow. projecting the flaws
>>    of
>> your dogma onto the scientific theory it contradicts. (For example,
>> "creationism is not science" becomes "evolution is not science", and
>> "creationism requires faith" becomes "evolution requires as much faith
>> as any religion, if not even more".)
>>

> Sadly, it's absolutely true :(

Yep.  I personally think it comes down to the use of "theory" to describe
evolution.

The creationists have used "theory" to mean "hypothesis" when in
scientific usage (such as in talking about the 'theory of evolution') it
refers to a body of knowledge that is known to be scientifically
validated.

Now either those creationists are uneducated as to the multiple
definitions of the word 'theory' and which one actually applies when one
talks about the 'theory of evolution' (hint, it's not the 'hypothesis of
evolution' definition, which is what they push), or they are deliberately
misusing the word so as to push their dogmatic approach to trying to make
creationism seem like science.

Creationism is a hypothesis.  Evolution is scientific fact.  They do not
merit equal consideration in a science classroom in school.

Of course, if they're willing to let science teachers come in and teach
evolution as part of a Sunday School curriculum in church, that would be
at least somewhat fair.  Let those who understand critical thinking
skills teach kids some critical thinking skills - that would be a good
thing.

But I'm sure the creationists wouldn't be in favour of that, because
critical thinking skills undermine creationist dogma.

Jim