From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Apr 2011 16:56:21
Message: <4da60df5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:12:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 13/04/2011 8:50 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I don't think that's the case, honestly - they think that belief
>> *supercedes*  proven knowledge, and that if one has faith, one doesn't
>> need pesky scientific facts.  The belief seems to be that what has been
>> revealed by God to them will be borne out by the facts once we have
>> them all, and we just don't have all the facts yet.
>>

> I think you are correct.
>
>> "Belief" is the antithesis of "knowledge" as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I think it is "Faith" is the antithesis of "knowledge"
>
> With faith you don't need knowledge.

Yeah, faith and belief are close in meaning, but not exactly synonyms.
Belief is closer to knowledge than faith, I think that would be fair to
say - for example, one can believe that (for example) the theory of
evolution is the way life developed on Earth, but that belief could be
based on knowledge that the people who have studied it and reached that
conclusion followed good scientific principles.

It's a fairly fine distinction, I think.

> BTW Mid June is the date ATM.

Good to know, keep me posted. :-)

Jim