From: Warp
Date: 13 Apr 2011 13:24:57
Message: <4da5dc68@news.povray.org>
> It always makes me laugh (because the other option is to cry) when
> Christian fundamentalist Republicans invoke the names of Jefferson,
> Adams, and Franklin in a religious context - because obviously they have
> no grasp of history.

  It's sad when using argument from authority by referencing famous people
who really were believers is not enough, but they have to fabricate faith
even on outspoken atheists, just because they are well known. (I have seen
several times people seriously claiming that Einstein believed in the
Christian God, completely disregarding and ignoring the fact that Einstein
explicitly and expressly stated several times that he did not. He used the
word "God" sometimes in the pantheistic sense, meaning the same as
"universe".)

  (It often also works in the other direction: Historical people who were
religious are claimed to have been atheists, for the sole reason that they
did bad things.)

--
                                                          - Warp