From: Darren New
Date: 13 Apr 2011 12:17:03
Message: <4da5cc7f$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2011 9:12, Warp wrote:
>    I find it implausible that all, or even the majority of, or even a
> significant portion of, the people who moved to the US did so for religious
> reasons. I have always understood that the main motivation was economic

Initially, much of the immigration in (say) the later 1500's and early
1600's (i.e., after it was not too hard to survive but before it was what
you'd call crowded), much of it was based on philosophies.

After that, sure, it was the land of opportunity. When people were regularly
starving during the winter, not so much. :-)

At least, that's what we're taught here.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like