From: Warp
Date: 13 Apr 2011 12:12:22
Message: <4da5cb66@news.povray.org>
> Well, I think the US was originally colonized by people who wanted their own
> religion rather than the state religion, so that sort of makes sense. The
> laws say "the state can't force me to change my religion", and it's
> *because* the people coming here were sufficiently religious that they'd
> spend three months crossing an ocean and leaving everything they knew behind
> in order to be able to do their own religion exactly as they liked.

  I find it implausible that all, or even the majority of, or even a
significant portion of, the people who moved to the US did so for religious
reasons. I have always understood that the main motivation was economic
(most people who moved there were poor, who were after a better life and
better opportunities).

--
                                                          - Warp