POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : crevice grime times 3 : Re: crevice grime times 3 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crevice grime times 3
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 11 Apr 2011 16:37:22
Message: <4da36682@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2011 09:25 PM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> Generally:
> -increase surface offset for meshes to avoid catching the mesh corners.  the
> size of this required will depend upon the curvature and resolution of the mesh
>
> -try to figure if you want to capture shallow areas or not, for shallower
> grooves, use lower angles.  I have been using anything from 5-20deg depending on
> what I want
>
> - try to figure the groove size you want.  This is going to be relative to the
> model size again.  I have been using ~2-10% of the object height.
>
> For example, for my buddha:
> object height = 200
> recursion level min=2
> recursion level max=4
> resolution = 1000 for 1920x1080 final image
> I also have truned on linera interpolation
>
> for crevices:
> control angle = 5deg
> control depth = 20
> offset = 0.05
>
> for edges:
> control depth = -20deg
> control depth = 15
> offset = -0.01
>

> I will probably be posting an update version soon, which I have added a some
> optimisation and added features.

Trevor, the above info would make a great addition to your next update,
it really helped me out with getting my setup correct.

The gargoyle is my favorite, the amphora turned out neat (very subtle)
... some of the shading on it comes from edge detect as the spots
orbiting the objects are shadowless, they just fill in where the
overhead center, the mezzanine, and the sun set lights didn't hit. I
also seem to be getting good mileage from have the orbiting object
lights as the cam position for the edge/crevice detect.

Thanks for the addition to my toolbox :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'work.png' (518 KB)