POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : crevice grime times 3 : Re: crevice grime times 3 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crevice grime times 3
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 10 Apr 2011 08:33:07
Message: <4da1a383$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2011 09:25 PM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> Jim Holsenback<jho### [at] povrayorg>  wrote:
>> I've been giving Trevors crevice grime macro a try and I think I'm
>> getting the hang of it. The three objects on the pedestals have an
>> object light that was used to fill in the areas that the overhead and
>> mezzanine lights didn't reach. I started getting better results when I
>> used the location of each objects light as the grime macros "camera
>> location" instead of the scene camera location.
>
> It looks good.  Nice to see some usage out of it.

Each model had slightly different requirements and I'd already caught
onto the angle parameter, but thanks for the follow up comments ... that
show get me going with fine tuning for the look I'm after.

>> Now a question (the real reason of this post) ... what's up with the
>> slightly tilted look (back and forth) with the Moai. My camera's look_at
>> is 180 from it's origin, so it's flat. The angle is default. I'd like to
>> be able to solve this without a lot of trial and error. My 1st thought
>> was rotate a little x (cam is at -z) but was wondering if changing the
>> look_at y vector just a tad was better ... Or maybe I should pull the
>> camera back and make angle smaller.
>
> What you are seeing is probably perspective distortion.  For example look at how
> the shape of the floor tiles looks at the corners of the image vs the center.
> The way to minimize this is to pull your camera back and tighten the view angle,
> nuch like zooming in real photography.

Yep ... I'm debating on getting rid of the wall behind the camera and
maybe the light from the environment map will help blend the overall
lighting ... I hate it when I answer my own question after posting ...
one of those delayed brain farts I guess ;-)