POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:32:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 6 Apr 2011 23:44:11
Message: <4d9d330b$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/6/2011 6:42 PM, Darren New wrote:
> I wouldn't assume that, personally. But I know almost nothing about such
> subjects, really.

You and me both.  It does seem like something that would be interesting
to study, although I can imagine that getting the photos of "real"
expressions would be tricky.

> That's cool. Do you still have a reference to the study sitting about?

There's actually two papers, the initial study:

http://psych.colorado.edu/~tito/sp03/7536/Baron-Cohen_97.pdf

And the follow-up on which the actual test I linked to was based:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/docs/papers/2001_BCetal_adulteyes.pdf

Note: somehow the line break in the above URL actually matters, and if
you remove it the link won't work.  If it still doesn't work, just do a
Google search for the title:  The "Reading the Mind in the Eyes" Test
Revised Version.

The primary author for both papers is apparently a relatively well known
autism researcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen