POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 6 Apr 2011 20:42:37
Message: <4d9d087d$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/6/2011 5:07 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/6/2011 16:09, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> were people who had significantly more trouble reading eyes of actors but
>
> I don't know. If you had an actor give a fake smile and asked "what is
> this expression?" almost everyone would say "smile." But if the smile
> doesn't reach the eyes, that's not going to work well.

Certainly, but in that case you'd expect that *everyone* would have
trouble answering the question, so it's not going to impact where you
fall with respect to the average score (which is what they measure in
the study).  The effect you're talking about is really determined by the
variance in the ability of different people to judge acted versus real
eye expressions.  I'm sure there is a variance, but I'd imagine that
it's smaller than the variance in overall ability in reading eye
expressions.

Another point is that they *do* find that people perform much better
than random chance at selecting the right expression from the eyes
alone.  They also found some other statistically significant in the
abilities of different subgroups which perhaps make intuitive sense:
women performed slightly better than men, and autistic spectrum people
performed worse than non-autistic people.  To me this points that they
are clearly measuring *something* useful.  It's probably not exactly
equivalent to what they'd really like to study (ie. real expressions)
but it seems about as close as you can easily get in a controlled study
-- certainly close enough to draw some cautious conclusions from.  I
mean, you're studying humans here, you shouldn't expect a proof of
correctness.

As an aside, they found a few other interesting things too.  For
instance for "simple" expressions like happiness, sadness, anger, etc.
the whole face conveyed significantly more information than the mouth or
eyes alone, and the mouth and eyes both conveyed about equal amounts of
information.  For "complex" expressions like sarcasm, pensiveness,
refection, etc. on the other hand the eyes seemed to be the most useful
thing in conveying the expressions.  Also interesting was that the
autistic spectrum people only seemed to have significant trouble with
the complex expressions, but not with the simple ones.  I actually found
it to be a pretty interesting paper to skim -- not that I actually know
anything about the field of course.