POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AO experiments : AO experiments Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  AO experiments
From: clipka
Date: 6 Apr 2011 14:02:00
Message: <4d9caa98@news.povray.org>
Toying around with an AO-only-patch for the radiosity code.

Render time for the classic recursion_limit 1 radiosity image (#1): 3
min 12 seconds.

Render time for the AO-only image (#2): 2 min 27 seconds.

The scene is an ideal case for this approach: The sky sphere functions
as the only light source, with a quite uniform pigment, and the relative
distance of objects is comparatively uniform. In such an environment,
single-recursion radiosity can be replaced by an AO-based approach
(shooting rays only to determine distance of objects, rather than color)
with virtually no change in visual appearance.

In this text scene, the texturing is still rather simple. To add /any/
challenge at all, I applied some 10-layer micronormals-based blurred
reflection to the floor. More complex scenes may show a more pronounced
speed advantage of the AO-based approach.

While this approach may not work equally well in other environments, I
guess the idea is worth being pursued further.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'patio-radio_radiosity.png' (266 KB) Download 'patio-radio_ao.png' (254 KB)

Preview of image 'patio-radio_radiosity.png'
patio-radio_radiosity.png

Preview of image 'patio-radio_ao.png'
patio-radio_ao.png