POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Plug & play : Re: Plug & play Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plug & play
From: Warp
Date: 6 Apr 2011 05:21:33
Message: <4d9c309d@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> What the user manual says:

  The user manual of what?

> Another thing. Technically you don't need to use Linux. The device
> supports FAT16 and FAT32 as well. But apparently none of those go up to
> the size necessary to make expansion worth the effort. Only ext3 seems
> to support really big filesystems.

  FAT32 has a file size limit of 2GB. (Well, technically speaking the hard
limit is 4GB, but if you exceed 2GB the system might start behaving in odd
ways with it. At least Windows does.)

  If what you are recoding is MPEG-2 or something like that, 2GB could hold
something like 30-60 minutes of video. I suppose that's not enough for some
applications (such as recording an entire feature length movie).

  The system not supporting formatting the external USB drive is just lazy,
though. Almost seems like they added the support just as an afterthought,
without investing much time on it.

> 2. When you copy a file, it gives you a progress bar. When you copy
> multiple files, it gives you a progress bar FOR THE CURRENT FILE. It
> provides no indication whatsoever of overall progress. And when a large
> copy operation takes several hours, that's a problem.

  Not as bad as that one application where the developer thought the
progress bar is kind of like the hour glass icon, making it fill then
unfill, repeat.

--
                                                          - Warp