POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Plug & play : Re: Plug & play Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plug & play
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Apr 2011 04:27:12
Message: <4d9c23e0$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/04/2011 09:06 AM, scott wrote:
>>> You don't read reviews before buying something?
>>
>> No. But generally I don't buy hardware from Amazon anyway...
>
> You don't need to buy it from amazon, but generally enough people have
> that there will be a good range of reviews from people using it in
> different ways. After reading a couple of pages of comments it usually
> becomes quite obvious if there are problems with the features you are
> interested in.
>
> Also check the "What people buy after looking at this page" section, it
> seems to me like bad reviews certainly affect what people buy.
>
> Is the recorder you have listed on amazon? If it is then I'd definitely
> leave a review highlighting the points you mentioned here - you'll get a
> much bigger audience and actually influence future purchasers. You
> didn't even mention the make/model number here, so how are we meant to
> avoid it :-)

First of all, AFAIK, most people don't bother with reviews. If you want
to buy some item of electronics, you go to one or maybe a few shops,
look at what they sell, analyse the features vs price landscape, and
select the product with the features that are most important to you for
the best price.

Even if I put something on Amazon, 99.99% of purchasers will never see
this review, and it will have no influence on their decision at all. And
even the tiny minority of people who read reviews... there are millions
of different places where you can post a review. There are reviews
written in printed and electronic magazines. There are user-submitted
reviews on Amazon and a bazillion other online stores. I can't post to
all of them.

Is the recorder listed on Amazon? Yes it is. And according to Amazon,
the device earned the What Hi-Fi 2009 Best PVR Award. (!) If I were to
read reviews, What Hi-Fi is probably *the* number one review I would
look at. And the fact that this device is top-rated would probably lead
me to buy it.

The actual user reviews all mention an endless succession of bugs,
glitches and annoyances. But with a top recommendation from the printed
press, I doubt this will make any impact on sales at all.

Secondly, I think the top-rated status reflects another big problem:
There isn't anything better on the market. ALL of these devices are
buggy and fiddly to use. If you read all the reviews, you'd just end up
buying nothing at all, because none of them work very well.