POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 5 Apr 2011 19:49:16
Message: <4d9baa7c@news.povray.org>
On 4/5/2011 3:41 PM, andrel wrote:
> On 5-4-2011 14:09, Invisible wrote:
>> You know, people said Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was "creepy"
>> because the characters were "too real". Apparently I am the only human
>> on Earth who didn't think so... For that matter, I've yet to see a big
>> budget production that suffered from CGI that was "too real". Maybe I'm
>> just weird.
>
> Do you have trouble judging from a face what emotion another person has?

Heh.  On a somewhat related tangent, this is a rather interesting online
test of the ability to read facial expressions:
http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/Faces/EyesTest.aspx  It's impressive how
accurately most of them could be answered from what is at some level
such a small amount of information.  I'd love to see a computer vision
algorithm which attempts to answer questions of this form.