POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pipes (lots of) : Re: Pipes (lots of) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pipes (lots of)
From: Dre
Date: 5 Apr 2011 18:55:30
Message: <4d9b9de2@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
news:4d95e1a4@news.povray.org...

> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
>> On 03/22/2011 10:10 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> I am sure the algorithm is both complex and surprisingly simple ;-)
>>
>>   Yes, the algorithm is very simple, but I'm keeping it to myself because
>> I'm mean. :P
>
> Now, why am I not surprised?  ;-))
>
> Thomas

Well sorry to spoil Warps secret, but its a tile based algoritm, ie, a
square with 2 curved pieces of pipe, like the pic attached called
pipe-tile.png.

I've done this before with a floor pattern so when I saw warps post I
immediately knew how he did it.  I also did a similar image, also attached
called pipes-small.png (this is a shrunk image from 1920x1080).

Anyway, you place lots of these tiles in a grid, but randomly rotate each
one either 90, 180 or 270 degrees.  That way each pipe lines up with another
and gives you a totally random path.  Stick some flanges in there and you
have spaghetti plumping!

Warp also layered several tile grids on top of each other to give depth.

Warp, I hope you aren't too annoyed that I let the cat out of the bag!

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pipe-tile.png' (159 KB) Download 'pipes-small.png' (276 KB)

Preview of image 'pipe-tile.png'
pipe-tile.png

Preview of image 'pipes-small.png'
pipes-small.png