POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: nemesis
Date: 5 Apr 2011 12:51:16
Message: <4d9b4884@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> On 05/04/2011 02:41 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> You know, people said Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was "creepy"
>>> because the characters were "too real". Apparently I am the only human
>>> on Earth who didn't think so... For that matter, I've yet to see a big
>>> budget production that suffered from CGI that was "too real". Maybe
>>> I'm just weird.
>>
>> Yyyeah... That film was actually unwatchable for me. It wasn't that they
>> were too real, but not real enough... when you get close, it starts to
>> resemble animated mannequins, and quite repulsive. To the point where
>> the whole movie looked stupid and poorly done, though it was probably
>> good I only watched a few minutes.
>>
>> The Polar Express was also similarly difficult to watch, and was a movie
>> aimed at kids!
>
> Polar Express was lame. (Then again, it /is/ aimed at kids...) Final
> Fantasy I watched all the way through at the cinema, and quite enjoyed.

FF had great unmatched models and CGI for the time.  But had quite poor
plot.  I'm also assuming you haven't played any FF game ever.  They

movie.  I don't think most people got it.

I think the UV works worse for CGI movies who go for a complete motion
capture approach.  Polar Express had an eerie Tom Hanks mannequin and
Beowulf had eerie (but better) mannequins of Angelina Jolie and Anthony
Hopkins.  Not to tell character models in games these days already look
almost as good as those.

Pixar and Disney will remain down the cartoon look, that is, cartoonish
models with cartoony proportions filled with realistic materials and
lights and *hand animated* for better performance than any one actor.
Avatar came up with grown-up smurfed thundercats, but I'm wondering when
one big company will come out with a movie employing character models
like this one:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=113952

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9