POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Plug & play : Re: Plug & play Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plug & play
From: scott
Date: 5 Apr 2011 06:28:49
Message: <4d9aeee1$1@news.povray.org>
> It still bemuses me that they could go to all the trouble of writing a
> huge, complex USB driver,

I doubt they wrote their own USB driver from scratch.

> As the manufacturer, this is probably true. As the consumer, we've
> bought this thing and we're probably going to use it for at least 10
> years, if not longer. So the minor glitches that the manufacturer didn't
> bother to iron out in their rush to market are extremely annoying, and
> they're going to annoy us for the next 10 years.

They've already got your $$$s though :-)

> What, fundamentally, can we do about this? How can we make it
> unprofitable to produce poor quality products?

You need to stop the demand for cheap consumer goods - good luck with
that ;-)

Alternatively you could make it illegal to sell anything that hasn't
scored a certain amount in some unbiased consumer testing, but you're
likely to be pretty unpopular when the price of everything goes up.