POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 10,000 grains : Re: 10,000 grains Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10,000 grains
From: stbenge
Date: 2 Apr 2011 19:52:54
Message: <4d97b6d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/2/2011 4:33 PM, Robert McGregor wrote:
> "Samuel Benge"<stb### [at] hotmailcom>  wrote:
>> The next challenge will be to vary the particle sizes without having them
>> produce incorrect results :/
>
> Sam, I think we need bad weather in your area more often - this is another
> /really/ cool concept you've developed. I can see this being so useful for
> gumball machines, or jars of beans, or piles of skulls, or... well, keep going
> man; looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Thanks, Robert!

No intersection tests aside from pitting one blob component against
another were used, so to place non-intersecting spherical objects would
require a different paradigm altogether. The current setup assumes that
the creation of oddly-shaped objects is expected.

There is the possibility of iteratively checking for intersections, but
the C++ library I am using changes the order of the points, which means
I will need to find a way to keep track of those changes before I can
pack spherical objects.

The experimentation continues...

~Sam