POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: nemesis
Date: 1 Apr 2011 14:22:41
Message: <4d9617f1$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>> I just noticed that things on the PS3 seem less ... shiney. :-) Like,
>> there's much more detail in batman's cape on the xbox than the ps3, from
>> what I can notice without having them physically side-by-side. Maybe the
>> dev tools for that sort of thing are easier on the xbox, so more work
>> goes into making it prettier. Or it might just be my imagination. :-)
>
> I haven't played on the xbox360 very often (I don't own one) but my
> impression is games on the PS3 use motion-blur and depth-of-field
> approximation effects more.

hmm, there's DOF in Assassin's Creed whenever you target someone.  Is
there none in 360?

> Maybe the devs are just trying to find ways
> to use up the spare CPU cores, but often it makes the game look quite
> bad in still shots, when you can see that they are just faking the effects.

Most new effects in this generation only make them justice in motion.
Normal and spec maps are wonderful, but in shots they just look like
more texture.  You don't see lighting dynamically changing them.  DOF
and motion blur much the same.

> Mind you, apart from the shadows (why use low resolution shadow map
> textures in such a polished game??), Gran Turismo 5 is beautiful.

Shadow maps are another incredible effect, allowing for much shadowing
on characters and even self-shadowing.  They are lowrez after all, but
still impressive.

It's amazing how we've gone from blocky characters with almost no
texturing besides goraud shading and circular ground shadows in the
first generation of 3D hardware, to fine textured models with all
fingers and shadow projections in the environments in the second
generation to fully detailed models with fine details provided by
normal/spec maps and self-shadowing and environment shadows casted upon
them nowadays.  It's a marvel to behold.  Guess nextgen high quality AA,
motion blur, hirez shadow maps, HDR lighting, screen space AO, screen
space Subsurface scattering and real-time tesselation will pretty much
provide Pixar-level excellence in 60 frames per second...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9