POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : moai : Re: moai Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: moai
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 1 Apr 2011 07:34:02
Message: <4d95b82a$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/01/2011 06:30 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 10:26 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> That's what I might end up doing because I'm not totally happy with
>> certain aspects of the lighting just yet ... I tried putting the statue
>> and pedestal in a light group. btw: this is supposed to be "after hours"
>> lighting
>
> I looks great to me.

Thanks, but I DO see what Jamie was getting at ... the wall behind the
statue, and the moai/pedestal itself desperately needs some lighting work.

After reviewing the "Light Attenuation" thread in p.gen I was wondering
if my problem was what I was doing for fade_distance when I discovered
that my scattering box was intercepting my room fill light (doh!) I
/really/ wanted to try to do this scene w/o radiosity and use a 3 point
lighting scheme ... the key light being the spot on the moai, the back
light being the light through the window firing up the scattering and
the room fill to even things out.

As far as fade_distance ... I'm still investigating but I think the
nugget here is what Christoph said:

"As I already mentioned, the key is not the fade_power, but the
fade_distance. Sufficiently far away from the light source - relative to
fade_distance (or, in other words, with sufficiently small fade_distance
relative to the scene dimensions) - the formula gets arbitrarily close
to 1/x2. "

I've been using:
#declare LightDist = vlength(LightPos);

as my value for fade_distance, Which is WRONG ... I want a smaller value
for that and up the intensity of the light source to compensate ...
@Christoph: Did I get that right?

Jim