POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: scott
Date: 1 Apr 2011 07:08:11
Message: <4d95b21b$1@news.povray.org>
>> I haven't played on the xbox360 very often (I don't own one) but my
>> impression is games on the PS3 use motion-blur and depth-of-field
>> approximation effects more.  Maybe the devs are just trying to find ways
>> to use up the spare CPU cores
>
>    Those effects are not dependent on the CPU.

The CPU is routinely used for graphics effects in the PS3, here's the
first reference I could find via google:

"We're doing all the post-processing effects on the Synergistic
Processing Units." Screen Space Ambient Occlusion for example, was done
completely on the SPUs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_2:_Among_Thieves#Graphics_and_technology