POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: scott
Date: 1 Apr 2011 05:45:03
Message: <4d959e9f@news.povray.org>
> While I would imagine that most of that is texture data, and possibly
> models,

I imagine a good written game-engine (like a good written OS) will use
up whatever unused resources it has available to the benefit of the user
- in this case filling up the CPU RAM with a cache of GPU data that
might be needed soon.  But it's not a minimum requirement for such RAM
to be available, it's just loaded directly from disc a few frames
earlier (big CPU<>GPU transfers are spread out over many frames anyway)
if the files aren't in the cache.

> a chunk of it is probably sound data too.

Didn't think of that, I guess uncompressed CD-quality sound takes up 10
MB or so per minute, maybe this is used a lot by PC games, IDK.  At
least when using XNA with the xbox, the sounds/music are stored in some
compressed format, it wouldn't surprise me if they are decompressed
on-the-fly to avoid using up too much RAM.

> Depending on the game,
> it might also need to store non-trivial amounts of gameplay data.

Yeh, this is the main point I was wondering about, apart from graphics,
what sort of data might a game need to store that runs in to several
hundred MBs?  I couldn't think of anything straight away.