POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: scott
Date: 1 Apr 2011 03:49:35
Message: <4d95838f$1@news.povray.org>
>    The major problem is not the speed, but the amount, as I mentioned.
> The architecture would be fine, the problem is that the amount of RAM
> is puny compared to modern game requirements. If the Xbox360 had, for
> example, 2GB of RAM (or more), then it would really be a killer gaming
> platform.

Don't forget games for the PC that quote 1GB or 2GB RAM requirements
need to accomodate the Windows OS and all other running services and
apps as well as the game itself.  I would be quite surprised if any game
for Windows actually used 1 or 2GB of RAM just for itself - apart from
caching files from disc on the way to the GPU, what else would a game
need that much CPU RAM for?