POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : chemistry question : Re: chemistry question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chemistry question
From: Alain
Date: 29 Mar 2011 19:39:24
Message: <4d926dac@news.povray.org>

> Wanted to get rid of about two cups of muriatic acid, so I dumped it
> into a bucket with some dried tile grout on the sides. Forgot about the
> bucket for several months. Just found the bucket and the muriatic acid
> seems to have been neutralized (forearm test). There are clear, cubic
> crystals inside. Anyone know what these would be?
>
> -Shay

After a little Google search, it seems that it's just another name for
Chloridric acid. A solution of HCl in water.

After several months, most of the acid will have evaporated or reacted
with any alcaline substance present. Grout is usualy alcaline.

Those crystals are some salts. It could be identical to common table
salt (NaCl), or be some other chlorine based salts. Some salts are
toxic, so I greatly advise you AGAINST tasting those.

Alain