POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : moai : Re: moai Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: moai
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 29 Mar 2011 11:45:45
Message: <4d91fea9@news.povray.org>
On 03/29/2011 11:37 AM, stbenge wrote:
> On 3/29/2011 3:53 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> On 03/28/2011 09:49 PM, Samuel Benge wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, have you ever tried Sculptris? It provides a much easier way to
>>> model
>>> things than other apps, if you're into that sort of thing.
>>>

>> It's mac/pc platform ... I'm on linux.
>
> Sculptris *might* work under Wine, though from what I've heard
> (discussions from 2010) it may be buggy...

just tried it and the tool itself works but the tool menu to the left
doesn't have any labels (and no hints when hovering) ... I was able to
push and pull on the sphere and deform it, so fail yes but /not/ epic

>> I've been using blender, but not
>> much lately. It has a sculpting tool but when I tried to give that a go
>> on this model, I found that I'd unlearned most of what I'd picked up
>> with casual use. Now that blender has hooks into povray I really need to
>> sit down and learn it proper. Blender is pretty nice ... and it fits my
>> budget too ;-)
>
> Is dynamic tessellation working with Blender's sculpting tool yet? It's
> really the way to go, as you can control the density of a mesh very easily.

I don't think so ... I found this blog entry (dated last summer)
http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/unlimited-clay-sculptris-hollygrail-soon-in-blender/

Then went to the blender site and it did /not/ mention it in the
features list, but did find this cool video:

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/feature-videos/?video=head_sculpt

Jim