POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A particle simulation : Re: A particle simulation Server Time
5 May 2024 13:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A particle simulation
From: Alain
Date: 28 Mar 2011 14:50:13
Message: <4d90d865@news.povray.org>

> Hello again,
>
> Here's a 3D version of the same particle simulation. Notice how the particles
> slow down as they come near other particles and the global particle mass center.
> This is /not/ realistic... The apparent gravitational influence these particles
> exhibit is all due to a quick hack I made to the overall behavior. My goal was
> not to make an entire physics sim; my intention was merely to keep the particles
> from intersecting each other...
>
> If you're used to huge, high-quality animations, I'm sorry :P I'm using
> 1/2-speed dial up over here :(
>
> ~Sam

Realistic or not is all relative.

Here, you have atractive AND repulsive forces at work. At larger
distance, the atractive part is dominent. At small distance, it's the
repulsive aspect that dominate.
When the surfaces just touch, the two cancels each other.

It's somewhat similar to what appens at a very small scale, like at the
molecular level.

It also can simulate your spheres been in a viscous medium. The fluid
only have a small effect when the particles are far apart, but have an
increasignly strong dampening effect as the particles get closer from
each another.

Alain