POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Paris by night - 1951 - wip : Re: Paris by night - 1951 - wip Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paris by night - 1951 - wip
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Mar 2011 03:33:30
Message: <4d8ee84a@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> schreef in bericht
> Wow, I can really appreciate all the time you've put into the modelling,
> and
> matching up all the details in the scene assembly. A couple of things that
> think would bring it closer to the original would include:

Thank you indeed Robert :-)

> Use an image_pattern or pigment_pattern as a specularity/reflection mask
> for the
> pavement to break up the highlights more, to show variation of wetness
> areas;
> maybe with the (I'm assuming) height_field just a bit more jagged or
> exaggerated
> to show that the pavers are not all the same height.

The pavement is made of individual stones (some 20k+ of them) using my
Cobblestone macro. They are aligned on an irregular surface (could be
increased some more) and have some irregularities in their placement. Each
stone has its own random texture variation of course. So, I am not sure how
to implement your suggestion here, but I shall think about it.

> A similar image_pattern circular glow around the lights (or a spherical
> density
> media) in addition to what you have already there would really tie the
> lights
> into the "atmosphere" of the shot - there's quite a harsh line of
> separation
> from the sky in the top light.

OK, this is the crux of my trials and errors. At the lamp locations are two
spherical emission media with spherical densities. What I did however, and
maybe I should attenuate that, I shifted the center of the density some way
up. My intention was to deform the halo a bit like one seems to notice in
the original: the halo is stronger below the lamp shade than above it.
However this causes this sharp boundary you mention.
In addition, a scattering media scatters the light cone a bit further.

> Overall, very impressive; this is looking great!

Again, thank you Robert.

Thomas