POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Paris by night - 1951 - wip : Re: Paris by night - 1951 - wip Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paris by night - 1951 - wip
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Mar 2011 03:13:46
Message: <4d8ee3aa$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> pretty damn good so far!

Thank you indeed :-)

> reconstructing scenes from photography is stimulating, isn't it?  And a
> hell of
> a challenge for sure!  Still need some matching up with the right angle,
> but
> after you complete this, seeing it from another angle is a must too.
> After all,
> this is not merely a 2D register. :)

It is a real challenge because so much is unknown - like real dimensions for
instance - and you have to infer a lot of things from 2D back to 3D. Getting
the camera right was the most difficult and subtle part however.
Overall I am quite happy, and both images almost coincide (that is also one
of the techniques I used with the help of Tim Nikias'glare macro). Things do
not need to coincide perfectly however, and I have taken some liberties here
and there.

> how did you do the fine details like the fences?  Is it a texture?

No, I modelled the fence elements in Silo (like all buildings in this scene)
and then copied them.

Thomas