POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Underwater air bubbles : Re: Underwater air bubbles Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Underwater air bubbles
From: stbenge
Date: 24 Mar 2011 15:06:43
Message: <4d8b9643@news.povray.org>
On 3/24/2011 11:39 AM, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> stbenge<"egnebts<-inverted"@hotmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> agreed ... a cleaver solution that's very natural looking.
>>
>> I originally tried to use the technique for in-air soap bubbles, but the
>> inside edges were too thick. Too bad there's not an easier way to model
>> minimal surfaces...
>
> For soap bubbles in the air, usually the bubble surface is thin enough that any
> refraction is not noticeable.  I am thinking you could just use the blob, but
> without refraction or ior, however this would preclude being able to use fresnel
> reflection.

Let's see... I used separate blobs for each bubble and one blob for a
thin film over everything. The latter had a very slight ior. The real
problem was the blobs were making edges that were too rounded. This
might be helped with better neighbor evaluation.

Attached is an image showing how it was turning out. It's not too bad,
better than no bubbles at all I suppose ;)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bubbles1.png' (49 KB)