POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aquatic Alien final : Re: Aquatic Alien final Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aquatic Alien final
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 23 Mar 2011 16:29:14
Message: <4d8a581a$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/23/2011 05:05 PM, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is probably going to be the final version. After starting this one I
> realized that any "cute" aspect the other version possessed was a preconception
> I held from *before* I added the mustache, and that it indeed looks quite
> sinister. This version is /slightly/ better, but I still wouldn't want to turn
> my back on it...
>
> It was rendered in five passes and took a little over 1&  1/2 hours to complete.
> It uses the following features:
>
>   - render baking via illusion.inc
>   - fast, fake SSS (I might start calling it "diffuse occlusion")
>   - a proximity pattern
>   - textured fog
>   - luminous bloom
>
> The bubbles are just transparent spheres with an ior of 1/1.33. Both they and
> the height_field were given textured fog, but the creature was not (good call
> Thomas).
>
> Comments and/or questions, welcome as always!
>
> ~Sam

so what's used for the water itself ... a media function of some sort
... the textured fog? and why the reciprocal for the bubbles. I was
thinking about an underwater scene, that mandel goodie I was playing
around with a while back looked like it would make neat coral (up close)
but I got stalled on exactly these issues.