POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: Ive
Date: 22 Mar 2011 07:53:42
Message: <4d888dc6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.03.2011 17:55, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
I assume then that the dithering doesn't apply to jpg
saving?

Dithering works also with jpeg output but as jpeg is always lossy
and most of all the RGB -> YCbCr (the color space internal used by jpeg)
  transformation is already lossy it might happen the the dithered color
falls exactly into a gap produced by rounding errors of the lossy color
space transformation, err, if you know what I mean, I'm not very good in
explaining such things.
First try it with the option chroma-subsampling (within the 'Save JPEG
Options' dialog) DISABLED and a quite high quality setting (lets say
95%) if this doesn't help you can try to change the exposure value (just
some barely visible amount increased or decreased) within the
Tonemapping dialog so the dithered colors might miss the 'gaps'.

-Ive