POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: Ive
Date: 21 Mar 2011 12:34:51
Message: <4d877e2b@news.povray.org>
Am 21.03.2011 16:25, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
>> Alternatively, you can convert the HDR or EXR output using Ive's "IC"
>> ("Image Converter", see http://www.lilysoft.org/IC/ic_index.htm), which
>> does a much better job at avoiding color banding than most other image
>> manipulation/conversion software.
>
> I tried the converter, the banding is still there.

Hum? Actually I can't believe that but it might be my own fault as I
never managed it to write a decent documentation.
In case you use IC for converting some HDR format to PNG it will store
the PNG in 16bps format (to avoid unnecessary loss of information) and
the banding will be introduced again when you use other viewing software.
So you have to reduce the color depth before you actually save the image
file by using the menu item
Image -> Mode -> RGB 8bps
- and make sure within the Options menu that dithering is actually enabled.

-Ive