POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: clipka
Date: 21 Mar 2011 11:08:11
Message: <4d8769db$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.03.2011 14:37, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
> Ive<ive### [at] lilysoftorg>  wrote:
>> You have some quite distracting color banding on the rear wall and you
>
> I've noticed this.  This looks like it is coming from the very dim 'fill'
> lighting I am using along part of the projector beam.  The light intensity is
> right near the bottom of the colour depth so it tends to get stepped.  I tried
> it with HDR image type output and the banding disappears (converting the HDR
> back to JPG or PNG reintroduces it).  I may either have to adjust how I approach
> this light, adjust the texturing to better mask it, or just get rid of it
> completely.

For a PNG file without colour banding, you may want to use dithered
output (+TH). (You can also try it for JPG, though I'm not sure whether
that will improve results.)

Alternatively, you can convert the HDR or EXR output using Ive's "IC"
("Image Converter", see http://www.lilysoft.org/IC/ic_index.htm), which
does a much better job at avoiding color banding than most other image
manipulation/conversion software.