POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a chocolate treat : Re: a chocolate treat Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a chocolate treat
From: Ive
Date: 18 Mar 2011 18:08:04
Message: <4d83d7c4@news.povray.org>
Am 18.03.2011 22:23, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> In the background are loft windows from a hdr light map, and I was
> trying to simulate a physical light source ... a lamp on the table from
> the inner room. Lighting is still a tough challenge for me :-(

Your scene gives the impression of an indoor daylight scene and so I
would expect the light coming from the windows being the main light
source - even if some desk lamp is turned on.
Meanwhile I do use HDR *images* rarely as they do always restrict my
freedom in choosing the lighting setup (otherwise things look faked) -
but I *do* always use HDR *lighting*.
E.g. you can put colored boxes with some high emission value into your
scene to get nice highlights within reflective materials.
One of the main rules is to decide what the key-light and what the
fill-lights should be. Playing around with the classical
"Hollywood-Three-Point-Lighting" is a good starting point:

http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
(by Pixars's Jeremy Birn himself)

but this is also no *cure all* and the same is true for HDR-image-based
lighting - well it all depends and I guess there is a reason that over
there - where the 'big boys' are playing - is even a challenge *just*
for lighting.

-Ive