POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee #2 : Re: Matinee #2 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee #2
From: Ive
Date: 18 Mar 2011 16:47:40
Message: <4d83c4ec@news.povray.org>
Am 18.03.2011 20:03, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:

> If you want to brighten it, make sure you do it while maintain the feel.  The
> main lighting on the character will be coming from the screen, so it should
> mainly come from that direction, preferably as an area light (this is why for my
> scene I created an image based, area light area, to simulate the actual screen
> reflected light).  You may have some secondary lighting coming from the theatre
> lights (ceilings and walls), but generally these would be low enough that the
> have no noticeable effect on the scene as a whole, but only localized bright
> spots at their locations.

Actually I'm using just 2 light sources: the projector lamp itself (with
some really high intensity: rgb 125000) and a quite dim one within the
projector cabin.
The scene illumination relies completely on GI and comes almost
completely (there might be some minor radiosity-media interaction from
the light-beam with the 'dust') from the screen where I did *not* use an
image_map but instead the light from the projector is projected_through
a small image with filter value set to 1 and located within the
projector - kinda like the real thing.
The only *fake* is the skin of the kid that has its own light_group with
a few reddish colored lights (kinda SSLT fake) to get a skin tone that
does not look too natural but also does not look like plastic - to make
it work with his cartoonish style.
But this is not so much *fake* at all because I'm pretty sure when such
a shot is done for a *real* movie they would at additional spots and
reflectors - lots of them ;)

> One other source of light would be from the projector beam (this is the next
> light I am going to add to my scene when I get back to it): the dust in the air
> would tend to scatter it a little.  This would be minor compared to the screen
> lighting, but could still have some general ambient effects on the scene, for
> example some possible minor lighting around the projector window, and minor
> directional area lighting on the chracter and seats.  I would probably keep this
> to 10% or less of the screen relative brightness, as you don't want it to
> overpower and be directly noticeable and competing with the main lighting, but
> just add subtle ambience and complement the main lighting.

Well, perhaps this volume light from the "dust in the air" is quite a

still used because it simply helps in making this movie theater flair?
Yesterday I did see "Unknown Identity" in the theater and did actually
watch out for the beam - but it was too faint to be visible.

> Overall good work.  Nice to see another POVer getting involved in th 'big boy'
> challenges to show em what we can do!

Hum, well, hopefully we do not make our favorite render engine look too
bad among all this Maya, Mudbox and what not 'big boys' tools...

-Ive