POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Engine : Re: Database Engine Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Database Engine
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Mar 2011 10:49:46
Message: <4d7e2b0a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/03/2011 14:57, Tom Austin a écrit :
> I am looking for information and recommendations for a database engine.
>
> We are setting up a relational database system that may reside on a
> database server in the future.
>
> Linux based solution preferred

Two main candidates (at least for me)
 - mysql
 - postgresql

Please note that MySQL AB is now owned by Oracle.
Opensource derivative to mysql is mariaDB.

> Something that is easy to set up and back up and restore.
>   even a sql sump is ok

Both can be administered via a web interface for the common usage
(phpmyadmin & phppgadmin)

> I will be using relationships (pk/fk) to keep data straight.
>
> Triggers and stored procedures are a big plus.

Both have triggers.
Both have stored procedures.

> The possibility of using GIS functionality int he future will be taken
> into consideration.

Both have support for spatial/geometry pieces of information.
Nevertheless, support

> What are your thoughts on a good system to use?

Check for yourself:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems

(search for indexes & spatial)
Looks like you might want postgis

Unless you are ready for an oracle DB ?

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.