POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT Dragon : Re: SSLT Dragon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT Dragon
From: clipka
Date: 13 Mar 2011 00:49:56
Message: <4d7c5b04@news.povray.org>
Am 12.03.2011 20:47, schrieb nemesis:

>> The image does seem to be missing something. That's a problem with SSLT,
>> it is back to the days of slooow renders. :-(
>
> BTW, I thought povray's SSLT (why not the more common SSS?) was supposed to
> optimize away media-based SSS.

Patience, people! Performance improvements are yet to come; the current
implementation is still a most basic brute-force approach.

As for using more common SSS algorithms, they all require UV-mapped
meshes to work, and therefore are unsuited for use in POV-Ray in their
original form, and either produce far inferior results (simple depht-map
based SSS), wouldn't give any significant performance benefits when
adapted accordingly while still being physically less accurate
(oversampled depth-map based SSS), or simply cannot be adapted to
POV-Ray at all (texture space diffusion).