POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray : Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 12 Mar 2011 09:51:18
Message: <4d7b8866$1@news.povray.org>
> I think you got that wrong.  It's not about self-shadowing, but
> about accounting for geometry occluding light from close geometry,
> like a sphere on the floor generating shadows on the floor and the
> floor generating shadows on the sphere. It also doesn't take light
> setups into account at all, just how close geometry is to each other.
> That is, it's perfectly possible to have AO in-doors in a closed
> room, under a ceiling which is not emitting light (as would be needed
> in radiosity).  AFAIK, the calculations needed involve purely the
> normals between surfaces, like the shadowing in the corners of rooms
> where 2 walls join and even more when floor or ceiling join in as
> well...

   You're right here... I've researched AO a bit some months ago, and it
is all based on a "distance" parameter. In packages supporting AO, for
indoors, usually you have to set that distance to something less that
the distance between the floor and ceiling.

   BTW, I usually don't like the effect of indoor AO... perhaps because
most people usually abuse it.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia