POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Japan : Re: Japan Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Japan
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Mar 2011 17:58:20
Message: <4d7aa90c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:26:00 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> I'm guessing everyone here has heard, but there was a massive
>> earthquake in Japan about 12 hours ago.  Reports say it registered as
>> 8.9.
>
>   I have always wondered why there are so many huge cities at places
> where earthquakes are very common. One would think that the danger would
> kind of deter big populations from forming there.

Pretty much anywhere you live there is a potential for natural
disasters.  I live in Salt Lake City, about 20 miles from a major fault
line.  We're going to move west in the next year, and where we're
planning to go is not far from Mt. St. Helens.

The thing is, being near water is something that is/was good for
agriculture, so that's what makes costal areas fairly popular.

Jim