POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray : Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray
From: clipka
Date: 11 Mar 2011 03:23:49
Message: <4d79dc15@news.povray.org>
Am 09.03.2011 17:09, schrieb nemesis:

> But really, this is why pov-ray never quite gets much of a foothold:  only
> ingenious guys like you, Sam Benge, Jaime Vives Piqueres and a host of others to
> imagine such tricks.

Actually I think the main reason is simply that POV-Ray does things
differently than all those mesh-and-shader renderers out there.

> it is a well known fact that the multipass approach
> is the way to go and that radiosity does not play fine with reflections,
> refractions, media and now SSS.

Well known maybe - but I doubt that it is a fact. The multipass approach
has its limitations; for instance. AO breaks down for indoor scenes.

When it comes to CG movies, a multipass approach is no doubt a crucial
timesaver, and the action hides the flaws rather easily; but for stills
I'm sure it's not a cure-all.

> So, how about a multipass switch for povray, devs?  I mean, sure there's the
> quality switches going from 1 (plain constant ambient light) to 9 (full with
> radiosity), but the numbers going higher only add more effects, don't isolate
> them from one another.

This thread already spawned some background process in my brain :-) (Of
course don't expect any such thing to appear in the very next release -
I'm not /that/ fast :-P)

> I know it's a postprocess to combine the results and it
> is outside the scope of a raytracer,

I wouldn't really consider that postprocessing.