POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: Alain
Date: 10 Mar 2011 13:19:11
Message: <4d79161f@news.povray.org>

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> I guess the area lights array is the way to go for the primary
>> illumination - though I'd suggest to not go without radiosity entirely,
>> as I guess it might give an added touch.
>
> Yes, I may add that in for some subtle addition, but remove the screen image
> from affecting it directly.
>

>> When using radiosity, don't forget that theaters typically use pretty
>> dark materials. Looks like you're using some bright grey for now, which
>> makes the radiosity scene unrealistically "light-flooded".
>
> I am using my default diffuse white texture at present for light testing.  I
> will add textures still.
>

>> In case you want to give radiosity-only illumination another try, don't
>> forget that you can prioritize objects: Use "radiosity { importance 1.0
>> }" for the screen, and - say - "radiosity { importance 0.01 }" in the
>> #default block, then crank up the global settings' radiosity count.
>
> Hmm.  Is this a new addition?  Don't recall it from before.  Have to see how it
> affects it maybe.  It may still be a bit of a problem, as the screen isn't a
> small light source relative to the scene size.
>
> -tgq

Yes, from the last 1 or 2 3.7 betas, maybe a little more.
With that, you can have samples 10000 for your radiosity, but only for
the objects that realy need that. With a default importance on 0.01,
you'll get an average of 100 samples for most of the scene and up to
10000 for the more important objects.

Alain