POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The mysteries of Erlang : Re: Anmesia Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anmesia
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Mar 2011 12:59:59
Message: <4d79119f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> An object/relational hybrid "suitable for telecommunications applications"?

By which they mean reliable, distributed, fairly fast, keeps everything in
RAM, and expects to run continuously, but which there aren't going to be any
ad hoc queries.

> It says it has "extremely fast real-time searches", but it also says
> that the query language is "an add-on library"?

I guess it's extremely fast real-time searches *if* you know exactly what
you're going to search for. Otherwise, it does a full table lock-and-scan
without any optimization. And you have to maintain your own indexes, so
after you insert the record into the table, you have to insert the key into
each index as well.

The query language isn't the functions used to access the tables. It's sort
of like saying "We have really fast loops and comparisons. List
comprehensions are an add-on library."

> Reading the rest of the documentation just made my head hurt. I
> particularly love how a "table" can be "set", "ordered set" or "bag",
> but only the first and last option are explained.

That's exactly what I'm saying. You're expected to know that "set" and
"ordered set" and "bag" are the three different types of ets tables, and go
read the ets documentation to figure out what that is.

> A reference manual is no way to learn how to use a complex system.

In this case, the other choice is to go work for Ericson, it seems.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"