POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Better than average : Re: Better than average Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Better than average
From: scott
Date: 10 Mar 2011 03:39:25
Message: <4d788e3d$1@news.povray.org>
> Scott wrote:
>  > Comparing to last year/month is pointless,
>
> It makes sense in a seasonal business.

Not really, because it's comparing your current performance with one
arbitrary data point.  It can give a very misleading figure about
actually how well you are doing, either due to random variation in the
figures, or that you just had an exceptionally good/bad figure the year
before for some reason.  It only tells you one thing, yet people try to
draw far more conclusions from that one figure.  A simple chart of even
just 10 data points is infinitely better.

Real world example, my sister manages a shop (which has very seasonal
sales figures) and just after she started the job she kept getting "best
in region" month after month.  She couldn't really understand why, until
she figured out that they were simply comparing her monthly sales with
12 months ago, where the store had been run by someone with no
motivation and who wanted to leave.  Now she doesn't get "best in
region" very often (it's probably mostly random variation between shops
if all the managers are relatively competent).