POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The mysteries of Erlang : Re: The mysteries of Erlang Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The mysteries of Erlang
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Mar 2011 08:10:43
Message: <4d777c53@news.povray.org>
>> - The system is supposedly insanely reliable. People toss around "nine
>> 9s up-time" as if this is some sort of experimentally verified *fact*.
>
> That uptime claim is probably not based on reliability, but on the
> ability to hot-swap code at runtime.

It's probably based on what the system was *designed* to do, rather than
any *actual* measurement of its reliability.

> Without such a feature, even the
> most reliable computer system (hardware + software) will have
> considerable downtime now and again just for the sake of updating the
> software.

Well, that's true enough. But Erlang is hardly the only system to allow
you to dynamically load code. Even C lets you do that, if you're
masochistic enough...

> As for reliability, with Wings 3D being written in Erlang I'd say
> apparently you can write unstable code in Erlang, too.

I didn't find Wings unstable. Incomprehensible, sure. But unstable? No,
not really.

Besides, writing unstable code is easy. It's writing *stable* code
that's hard. ;-)